Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup grated english cucumber
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Finely grated zest 1/2 medium lemon
- Juice from 1/2 medium lemon
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint leaves, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb
- 1/4 cup grated red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves, or 2 teaspoons dried
- 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, if cooking on the stovetop
- 2 pita pockets, halved, or 4 hamburger buns, warmed
- Green leaf lettuce
- Thinly sliced red onion
- Tomato slices
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Place 1 cup Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup grated cucumber, 1 grated garlic clove, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill, and finely grated zest and juice from 1/2 lemon in a medium bowl. Chop until you have 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint leaves; place 1 tablespoon with the yogurt mixture, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine to make the tzatziki. Place the remaining 2 tablespoons mint in a large bowl for the burgers.
- Add the 1 1/4 pounds ground lamb, 1/4 cup grated red onion, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves (or 2 teaspoons dried), 3/4 teaspoon ground coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon to the mint in the large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and mix with your hands until just combined. Form into 4 (6-ounce) patties that are about 1-inch thick and set aside.
- Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat, or for the stovetop, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Season the lamb burgers on both sides with more salt. Grill or sear on the stovetop until browned, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let the patties rest 6 to 8 minutes before assembling. Meanwhile, wash and dry some green leaf lettuce, slice up some red onion and tomatoes, and crumble some feta cheese for the burgers.
- Place some lettuce and red onion in each pita pocket or on the bottom half of each hamburger bun. Top each with a lamb patty, tzatziki sauce, tomato, and feta cheese.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank The Kitchn for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.thekitchn.com/lamb-burger-22931774