Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
Thai Yellow Curry Paste
- 2 lemongrass stalks (white part only), chopped
- 4 Asian (red) eschalots, chopped
- 2 tbs finely grated ginger
- 6 long red chillies (seeds removed from half), chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 5 coriander roots, scraped to remove dirt, washed
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 1 tbs olive oil
Thai Chicken And Eggplant Yellow Curry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 (650g) chicken thigh fillets
- 1/2 cup (150g) yellow curry paste
- 1 tbsp. coarsely grated palm sugar
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes, plus lime wedges to serve
- 800ml coconut milk
- 150g Thai eggplants (from Asian grocers) or 3 halved Japanese eggplants
- Thai basil leaves, coriander leaves, thinly sliced red chilli, shredded kaffir lime leaves, steamed jasmine rice & fried Asian shallots, to serve.
- For the paste, place all ingredients in a food processor and whiz to a coarse paste. (Alternatively, pound using a mortar and pestle). Paste will keep covered and refrigerated for up to 5 days and frozen for up to 3 months.
- To make the curry, heat 1 tbs oil in a deep frypan with a lid or a wok over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, add half the chicken and cook, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until golden. Remove and set aside, leaving oil in pan. Add remaining chicken and repeat.
- Wipe out pan with paper towel and add remaining 1 tbs oil. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until slightly darkened and very fragrant.
- Return the chicken and any resting juices to the pan with the palm sugar, fish sauce and lime juice. Bring to a simmer, then add coconut milk. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Add eggplants, then cover and cook for a further 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and eggplants are just tender. Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Place curry in a serving dish and top with basil and coriander, then scatter over chilli and kaffir lime leaves. Serve with rice topped with shallots, plus lime wedges to squeeze over.