Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
Spicy tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- Kosher salt
- 2-3 calabrian chiles, finely chopped
- 2 pounds of ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt
- 8 buns, such as ciabatta or kaiser rolls
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 8 leaves of fresh basil
- For the spicy tomato sauce: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic to the oil and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and a big pinch of kosher salt. Finish the sauce with the chiles and remove from the heat.
- For the chicken burgers: Combine the ground chicken, italian seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne, parmesan and parsley in a bowl. Add a hefty sprinkle of kosher salt and then use clean hands to gently work the mixture together. Divide the mixture into 8 rounds — not patties, but loose rounds to smash later.
- Heat the grill for two-zone cooking. Toast the burger buns over high heat and then move to indirect heat to keep warm.
- Heat a large skillet over direct heat. Working in batches of two, add two of the rounds to the skillet at a time. Use a large flat spatula to press down hard on each patty for 2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking — the goal is a crisp, craggled, super-thin patty. Move the first two patties to indirect heat and top each with a slice of provolone. Repeat with the remaining chicken rounds. While you're still at the grill, top the chicken patties with a scoop of the sauce.
- For the sandwiches: Build the sandwiches by placing one patty on each bun and topping with fresh basil.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Today for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.today.com/recipes/italian-chicken-smashburger-recipe-t262989