Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 24 chicken wings (approx. 4½ pounds)
- 1 gallon canola oil
- 1/3 cup hot canola oil, from frying the wings
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 cup black bean paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup white or balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Black and white sesame seeds, to garnish
- Cilantro leaves, to garnish
Lingonberry Barbecue Sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lingonberries
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup spicy chile sauce
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 1/4 cup dark soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped chives, to garnish
For The Wings
- Combine Sriracha, salt and buttermilk, and add the wings. Let the chicken marinate, covered and refrigerated, 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat canola oil in a heavy pot to 370 F.
- Remove chicken from marinade, rinse and pat as dry as possible.
- Fry chicken for 10 to 12 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove from oil and sprinkle with salt.
For The Black Sauce
- To a small pot, add the oil, garlic and ginger.
- Add black bean paste and stir vigorously for about 1 minute, then drain excess oil.
- Stir in the water then add in mustard, vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Allow to come to a low boil then turn off the heat and add the butter.
- Pour over half of the wings and garnish with sesame seeds and cilantro.
For The Lingonberry Barbecue Sauce
- In a medium pot, bring water, lingonberries and orange juice to a boil. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a boil again.
- Carefully pour the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth. You can also use an immersion blender if you have one handy.
- Either leave like this, or strain through a strainer for an extra smooth sauce.
- Pour over remaining half of wings and garnish with chives.