Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons harissa paste or dried harissa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground turkey, 93% lean
- 1 (14-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon rinsed and finely chopped preserved lemon rind
- 8 thick pita pockets
- sliced pickles, crumbled feta, chopped flat-leaf parsley and lemon wedges, to serve.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeño and a pinch of salt and cook, stirring, until soft, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika, and cook, stirring, until fragrant, another minute. Add the harissa and tomato paste and cook for another minute. Add the turkey and season with 1½ teaspoons kosher salt. Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until browned all the way through. Stir in the tomatoes and brown sugar and simmer, covered, over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the flavors to meld. Stir in the vinegar and preserved lemon. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.
- To serve, stack the pitas, wrap in foil and heat in a warm oven for a few minutes. Cut the tops off and fill with the turkey mixture. Top with pickles, feta and parsley, and serve with lemon wedges.