Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 lb firm or extra firm tofu drained and pat dry
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch plus 2 tbsp
- 1 red chili I used fresno, de-seeded, chopped
- 1 green chili I used jalapeno, de-seeded, chopped
- 3 scallions chopped, whites and greens separated
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp msg
- Remove the block of firm tofu from the package, drain well, and pat dry. Cut lengthwise in half then in the opposite direction to form 2" cubes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and season with a tablespoon of kosher salt. Add tofu to the boiling water, cover and turn the heat to low. Blanch for 5 minutes then drain. Pat the tofu cubes completely dry.
- In a bowl, add the tofu cubes and season with salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp of cornstarch.
- Mix in a beaten egg to cover the tofu and mix. Dust the tofu cubes in a plate of cornstarch until fully coated.
- Fry the tofu cubes at 375F for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. If necessary, fry them in batches so the oil doesn't drop below 350F. Remove and drain well on a wire rack or paper towel.
- In a separate pan, add 1 tbsp of neutral oil over medium high heat and add garlic and scallion whites. Sauté for 30 seconds until fragrant, then add the red and green chilis and saute for another minute. Add back the tofu and seasoning mixture and toss until well coated throughout. Garnish with scallion greens and enjoy!