Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 lb flank steak cut into 1/4" strips
- 2 tbsp neutral oil I used avocado oil
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp shaoxing wine
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Vegetables & Aromatics
- 6 green onions cut into 2" pieces
- 5-7 dried red chilis japones or chile de arbol work well; remove seeds to reduce spice level
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 3 cloves garlic minminced
- Slice your steak into 1/4" strips and marinate with light soy sauce, white pepper, Shaoxing wine, baking soda, neutral oil, and corn starch for 15 minutes.
- Prepare your green onions, garlic, ginger and chilis (deseed the chilis for less heat); set aside.
- Combine light soy sauce, brown sugar, and warm chicken stock mix; mix until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat 4 tbsp of neutral oil in a wok over high heat. Shallow fry the beef for 3-4 minutes at 350F, working in batches if necessary so the oil does not drop below 300F. Fry until golden brown and crisp. Remove and set aside.
- Remove leftover oil until about 2 tbsp of neutral oil remains. Over medium high heat, fry your garlic and ginger for 15-30 seconds then add the dried red chilis. Stir fry for another 15-30 seconds until the chilis are slightly toasted and oils have extracted.
- Add your premixed sauce and stir to combine until the sauce has thickened. Add back your beef and scallions, stir for another 1-2 minutes to coat evenly, and enjoy!