Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Pickled Cabbage Slaw
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1½ cups water
- 4 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 bird's eye chili, seeded and minced
- 1 carrot, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 daikon radish, cut into thin matchsticks
- 2 cucumbers, cut in half and sliced into thin half moons
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 2 pounds shrimp, peeled, deveined and divided
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 bird's eye chili, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 potato slider buns
- Pickled Cabbage Slaw (recipe above)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, to garnish
For The Pickled Cabbage Slaw
- Whisk together the vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, water, salt and chili in a large bowl. Whisk until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved; set aside.
- In a non-reactive container, toss together the carrots, radish, cucumbers, cabbage and cilantro.
- Pour the brine over the vegetables and cover. Refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 1 week. The slaw will become more pickled as it rests.
For The Shrimp Burgers
- Place 1½ pounds of the shrimp into a food processor. Add celery, eggs, chili pepper and soy sauce, and pulse until there is a mix of finely minced and coarsely chopped pieces of shrimp, about five 5-second pulses.
- Gently fold the panko, lemon zest, parsley and scallions into the shrimp mixture to combine. Chop remaining 1/2-pound shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and fold into the mixture. Season with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper. Shape mixture into 6 (five ounce) balls.
- Heat 1½ teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Place 3 shrimp balls in pan, flattening with a spatula to 1/2-inch thickness. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the edges turn pink and the burger looks golden, about 3-4 minutes. Turnover and cook 3 minutes, or until done. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp balls.
- Place the burgers on the potato buns, add Pickled Cabbage Slaw and cilantro, and serve.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Today for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.today.com/recipes/jj-johnson-s-gullah-shrimp-burgers-recipe-t188615