Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serving: 18 (1-1/2 dozen)
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 18 miniature whole wheat buns
- Baby spinach leaves
- 3 center-cut bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Sliced jalapeno peppers, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice and 1-1/2 cups pineapple (save remaining pineapple for another use). In a large bowl, combine 3/4 cup reserved crushed pineapple, pepper and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 18 patties; place in two 11x7-in. dishes.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and reserved pineapple juice. Pour half the marinade into each dish; cover and refrigerate 1 hour, turning once.
- Drain and discard marinade. On a lightly oiled grill, grill patties, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat on each side. Grill or broil until a thermometer reads 160° and juices run clear, 4-5 minutes.
- Grill buns, uncovered, until toasted, 1-2 minutes. Serve burgers on buns with spinach, remaining pineapple, bacon and jalapeno peppers if desired.