Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 6 cloves garlic, finely grated, pressed, or minced
- 2 lemons, zested
- 1 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- 1½ tablespoons za'atar, plus more for serving
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or marjoram, plus additional sprigs for garnish
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2¼ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- In a large bowl, combine 5 grated garlic cloves, half the lemon zest, 1/3 cup yogurt, cilantro, oil, za'atar, oregano, or marjoram, 1¾ teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add chicken and toss until well-coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, light the grill to medium-high or heat your broiler with the rack 3 inches from the heat source. Remove chicken from bowl, reserving the marinade, and grill until charred in spots, 4 to 7 minutes, or place on a sheet pan and broil for 4 to 7 minutes. Using a pastry brush or spoon, brush with reserve marinade, flip the chicken and grill, or broil, for another 3 to 6 minutes, until just cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, place the remaining 2/3 cup yogurt in a small bowl. Stir in the reserved grated garlic clove and lemon zest, and remaining salt and pepper. Cut one zested lemon in half and set aside for serving (save the other zested lemon for another use).
- To serve, place chicken on a serving platter and drizzle with olive oil and a large squeeze of lemon. Top with cilantro and oregano or marjoram sprigs and serve with yogurt sauce.