Preparation time: 2 hrs 40 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1 (14- to 16-pound) turkey, neck and giblets (excluding liver) reserved for turkey giblet stock
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt (2 teaspoons if using a kosher bird)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 small metal skewer
- N/A kitchen string
- 1 flat metal rack
- 1 instant-read thermometer
- Remove any feathers and quills with pliers (kosher turkeys tend to require this more than others).
- Rinse turkey inside and out and pat dry. Mix salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle it evenly in turkey cavities and all over the skin. Fold neck skin under body and, if desired, secure with a metal skewer, then tuck wing tips under the breast and tie drumsticks together with kitchen string.
- Preheat burners on high, covered, 10 minutes, then turn off 1 burner (middle one if there are 3). Put the turkey on an oiled rack in roasting pan and add 2 cups water to the pan. Set the pan over a turned-off burner and close lid immediately (temperature drops quickly when the lid is lifted). Grill, adjusting burner or burners to maintain 450°F and rotating pan 180 degrees halfway through grilling until a thermometer inserted in the fleshy part of each thigh registers 170°F, 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 hours. Time could be longer in cold weather. Avoid opening lid often because of rapid heat loss.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Epicurious for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/grilled-whole-turkey-232957