Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 fennel bulbs, one left whole and the other thinly sliced
- 3 courgettes, thickly sliced lengthways
- 2 Tropea onions or red onions, cut in half lengthways
- 3 spring onions
- 1 leek
- 4 white/purple/green sprouting broccoli stalks
- 3 English asparagus spears
- 1 globe artichoke, trimmed, quartered lengthways
- 1 small bunch dandelion leaves
- 1 romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthways through the core
- For the dressing:
- Olive oil, to taste
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 4 tbsp. chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 small handful chives, cut into 2.5cm lengths
- 2 tbsp. puffed wild rice (deep-fry raw wild rice for a few seconds in 180°C oil, then drain)
- 1 tbsp. crispy garlic slices
- A couple of grates of Parmesan cheese
- Maldon salt
- Cook the whole fennel bulb in the hot coals for 10 minutes until blackened, then peel off the outer charred layer. Set aside.
- Lay the fennel and courgette slices, the onion halves, spring onions, leek, broccoli, asparagus and artichoke quarters on the BBQ grill. Cook, turning as needed until the vegetables are tender and heavily charred. As they are cooked, remove them from the grill. Leave the leek until it is blackened all over, then remove and peel off the outer layer. Roughly chop up all the veg, including the whole fennel bulb.
- Grill the dandelion leaves for a few seconds, and the lettuce halves on one side until almost black.
- Combine all the grilled vegetables on a large platter.
- Dress with olive oil, lemon juice and salt, then sprinkle with the herbs, puffed wild rice, crispy garlic and Parmesan. Serve immediately.