Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 1 large red onion
- Light-coloured oil such as peanut, vegetable or canola, for drizzling
- Steak seasoning blend or coarse salt and pepper
- Trim a thin slice off the side of the whole, unpeeled onion.
- Set the onion flat on the cut surface for stability. Cut the onion into 4 (1-inch thick) slices.
- Remove the outer ring of skin from each slice.
- Drizzle the sliced onion with light coloured oil and season both sides with steak seasoning or salt and pepper, to taste.
- Grill on a hot grill or on a nonstick griddle for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until onion is tender and has begun to caramelize.