Preparation time: 1 hrs.
Cooking time: 20 mins.
- 4 medium shallots, 2 chopped, 2 thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp. fish sauce
- ⅓ cup plus 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar, divided
- 8 ¾"-thick pork shoulder steaks (3½–4 lb. total)
- 2 red or green Thai chiles, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Thai or sweet basil leaves, cilantro leaves with tender stems, and/or dill
- Blend chopped shallots, garlic, ⅓ cup fish sauce, ⅓ cup lime juice, and 2 Tbsp. brown sugar in a blender until smooth.
- Season steaks lightly with salt (the fish sauce will also season the steaks). Transfer to a large bowl or a 12x9" baking dish. Pour marinade over and turn steaks with tongs to coat evenly. Let sit at room temperature 1 hour, or cover and chill up to 12 hours, turning once (halfway through if you can).
- Preheat a grill to high heat. Grill steaks, turning every minute or 2, until lightly charred and crisp and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 140°, 7–9 minutes. Transfer steaks to a cutting board and let rest at least 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
- Meanwhile, mix chiles, remaining 3 Tbsp. fish sauce, remaining 3 Tbsp. lime juice, remaining 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, and 1 Tbsp. water in a large bowl to combine. Add sliced shallots and herbs and toss to coat; season lightly with salt.
- Arrange sliced meat on a platter and scatter herb salad over.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Bon Appetit for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-pork-shoulder-steaks-with-herb-salad