Preparation time: 1 hr.
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic (from 1 garlic clove)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 tablespoons gochujang sauce (such as Bibigo Gochujang Hot & Sweet Sauce), divided
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs)
- 6 scallions, cut into 1 1⁄2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 8 Little Gem lettuce leaves or romaine lettuce heart leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium-high (400°F to 450°F); or heat a grill pan over medium-high, and lightly grease. Stir together egg, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon of the gochujang sauce in a large bowl. Add pork and panko, and gently mix with hands until just combined. Form into 24 (1 1⁄4-inch) meatballs (about 1 ounce each). Thread meatballs, alternating with scallion pieces, onto 8 (8-inch) skewers.
- Place kebabs on lightly greased grill grate or in grill pan. Grill, uncovered, until meatballs are lightly charred and cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, oil, sugar, and remaining 3 tablespoons gochujang sauce in a small bowl. Place each skewer on a lettuce leaf, and spoon 2 teaspoons sauce over each kebab. Sprinkle with peanuts and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges and remaining sauce.