Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 5 mins
- 3-4 medium eggplants (maybe 2 larger ones, 4 smaller ones)
- sea salt
- extra virgin olive oil
- za'atar seasoning
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- half of a small red onion, sliced thin
- generous handful each of fresh basil, dill and cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. capers, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. honey or agave nectar
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Cut the eggplants into 1 1/2'' rounds. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes to release water.
- Add the quinoa to a pot with a pinch of salt and 3/4 cup water or stock. Bring it to a gentle boil, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, fluff with a fork, cover again and leave it to steam another 5 minutes.
- Heat up your grill or grill. Press the eggplants between a dishcloth or paper towels to absorb the excess moisture. Brush both sides with olive oil and grill for about 5 minutes per sides until you get nice dark marks and the texture seems pretty soft throughout. I like the softer texture that comes with covering them. Remove to a plate, drizzle a bit more olive oil and sprinkle with za'atar to taste.
- To finish the quinoa, toss in the onions, all of the herbs, oil, vinegar, honey or agave and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to mix. Taste and adjust as you like.
- Put the eggplants on a plate, top with the quinoa and garnish with the toasted pinenuts.