Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1/4 cup/120 ml white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons/15 ml of sugar
- 2 tablespoons/30 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml ginger (minced)
- 1 jalapeño chilli (minced with the seeds removed)
- 3 clove garlic (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon/15 ml cilantro (minced)
- 2 large Dungeness crabs (live)
- Gather the ingredients.
- To prepare the baste, mix vinegar, sugar, oil, ginger, jalapeño, garlic, and cilantro in a bowl. Cover and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the crabs, one at a time, headfirst into boiling water. Boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove crabs from the water. Pull off the triangular tab from the belly. Liftoff the shell.
- Clean innards and gills from crab and wash and drain. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Preheat grill for medium-high heat.
- Place the crabs on the grill. Cook with the lid closed, brushing with basting mixture after first 2 to 3 minutes of cooking.
- Turn crabs over halfway through grilling, and baste again. The crabs are done when the meat in the leg is opaque, which will take about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Place the crab on a serving dish and spoon remaining basting mixture over the crabs. You can replace the shells before serving if you wish.
- Serve with lemon wedges and drawn butter, as desired.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank The Spruce Eats for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://www.thespruceeats.com/simple-grilled-crab-recipe-336003