Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 4 medium beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- Salt (for sprinkling, to taste)
- Gather the ingredients.
- Heat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-hot (you should be able to hold your hand about an inch over the cooking grate for about 2 seconds)—if the grill is too hot the beets will burn before they cook through. If you need a hotter grill to cook other things, cook the beets on the cooler edges of the grill.
- While the grill heats, peel and slice the beets.
- Brush the beets with olive oil or vegetable oil. (Or, put the slices in a large bowl, drizzle with the oil and toss to coat the beets evenly.)
- Place the beets on the grill and sprinkle lightly with salt, if you like.
- If using a gas grill, close the cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes.
- Turn the beets over and continue cooking until the beets are tender and grill-marked, another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve the beets hot, warm, or at room temperature. Drizzle them with additional olive oil for serving, if you like. This is also a great time to use any nut oils (toasted walnut oil or hazelnut oil in particular) since they so perfectly complement the earthy-yet-sweet flavor of grilled beets. (That's it. It's really just slicing the beets and setting them on the grill until they're tender!)