Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 5 pounds kohlrabi, preferably small bulbs, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges or chunks
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup house-made or store-bought barbecue sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- About 10 chive stems, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the grill for direct heat, or preheat a gas grill to medium-high (350 degrees). If using a charcoal grill, light the charcoal; once the coals are ready, distribute them evenly in the cooking area. For a medium fire, you should be able to hold your hand about 6 inches above the coals for 6 to 7 seconds. Have ready a spray water bottle for taming any flames.
- Toss the kohlrabi wedges, oil, barbecue sauce and salt together in large mixing bowl until evenly coated. Spread the kohlrabi in the vegetable grilling basket and place on the grill; close the lid and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, checking for doneness several times during the final 5 minutes of cooking. There should be a slight char/caramelization on the outside, and the kohlrabi should be crisp-tender on the inside.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; season with the pepper. Let cool a few minutes before garnishing with the chives (or, if you're making this in advance, wait to add the chives until after you've reheated the kohlrabi). Serve warm or at room temperature.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank The Washington Post for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://www.washingtonpost.com/recipes/grilled-bbq-kohlrabi/15053/