Preparation time: 1 hr.
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 4 skewers
- 1 pound dry sea scallops (about 16 medium)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/2 medium lemons
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspooon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus more for the grill grates
- Prep the grill and skewers. If using wooden skewers, soak 4 in water for 1 hour. Prepare an outdoor grill for two heat zones, medium and medium-high. If using a charcoal grill, add coals, stacking more coals on one half of the grill and less on the other. If using a gas grill, heat one half of the grill to medium-high and the other to medium.
- Prepare the scallops. Meanwhile, gently peel off the side muscle from 1 pound scallops if they are still attached. Pat the scallops dry with paper towels. Thread the scallops onto 4 skewers and refrigerate. Finely grate 1 garlic clove. Halve 1 medium lemon, and then cut the second lemon into wedges for serving.
- Make the browned butter. When the grill is ready, place a small saucepan with a heatproof handle on the grates over the medium heat zone, and add 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter. Cook, swirling occasionally until the butter is golden brown and nutty smelling, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Immediately add the grated garlic and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Taste and season with kosher salt and more lemon juice as needed; set aside.
- Grill the scallops. Rub the grill grates on the medium-high heat zone with a paper towel dipped in vegetable oil. Season the scallops with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, then lightly brush with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Place the skewers on the oiled grill grates. Grill uncovered and undisturbed until dark grill marks appear on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Flip the skewers and grill until the scallops are just barely cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle the scallops with the lemon-garlic butter over and serve with the lemon wedges.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank The Kitchn for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.thekitchn.com/grilled-scallops-23035456