Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 6 mins
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds large peeled and deveined shrimp (20 to 25 per pound), thawed if frozen
- 8 metal or wooden skewers (about 10 inches)
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for at least 30 minutes while preparing the shrimp and heating the grill.
- Place the garlic, sugar, hot sauce, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels. Add the shrimp to the marinade and toss to coat. Set aside at room temperature for 15 minutes while you prepare the grill.
- Prepare an outdoor grill for high, direct heat. Once hot, scrape the grill grates if needed to remove any lingering grit or debris.
- Bend each shrimp into the letter “C” and thread onto the skewers, skewering both the tail and head ends of each shrimp (6 to 8 shrimp per skewer). Adjust so that the shrimp are evenly spaced along the skewers. Place the skewers on a baking sheet to transport to the grill.
- Pour any remaining marinade into an oven-safe saucepan and place on the grill. Cover the grill and cook until the marinade is bubbling and syrupy, about 5 minutes.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and brush with the marinade (remember that the handle of the saucepan will be quite hot). Grill, uncovered, until the shrimp turn pink on the edges, about 3 minutes. Flip the skewers and brush the shrimp with more marinade. Grill until the shrimp are opaque and the firecracker coating is charred, about 3 minutes more.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank The Kitchn for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-firecracker-shrimp-skewers-259022