Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Homemade Pesto Sauce
- 2 cups basil
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts toasted
- 4-5 TBS olive oil
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 ½ TBS minced garlic
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Salted Water
- 16 oz bucatini spaghetti (or your preferred pasta)
- 2 TBS toasted pine nuts
- Baby tomatoes, fresh basil, parmesan cheese, etc. optional garnishes
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, be sure to use salted water.
- Drain (do not rinse), return to dry pot, cover with a lid and set aside.
- Heat pine nuts in a small sauté pan over medium heat, stir once you notice them starting to brown. Once they start to brown the process happens fast so watch carefully and remove from heat once all nuts are roasted (about 5 minutes), and let them cool.
- Reserve 2 TBS roasted pine nuts for serving.
- Put olive oil and basil leaves into the container of a Vitamix (or another high-powered blender). Blend for about 60 seconds until the ingredients are combined but not totally smooth. You may need to pause, scrape down the sides, and then continue blending.
- Add ¼ cup pine nuts, garlic, lemon juice, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and blend or process until you reach your desired consistency (about 30-60 seconds). You may need to pause, scrape down the sides, and then continue blending.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as desired, pulse to combine.
- Transfer warm pasta to a serving dish.
- Add homemade pesto sauce and stir into pasta until evenly distributed.
- Sprinkle with remaining toasted pine nuts!
- Add tomatoes and fresh basil if desired.
- Serve warm or transfer to the refrigerator to chill and serve cold.