Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 1 hr 30 mins
- 5 pounds chicken leg quarter
Citrus Chicken Brine
- 4 quarts water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 oranges, halved
- 2 limes, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
Chicken Spice Rub
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- Heat water, salt, sugar, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce sauce, and soy sauce in a large pot over high heat. Bring to a rapid boil until the salt and sugar is fully dissolved. Remove pot from heat and set aside until water has reached room temperature.
- Place chicken in a 6-quart sealable container. Juice the oranges, limes, and lemon over meat, and toss in the rinds. Add onion and garlic, and pour brine water over meat so that the chicken is fully submerged. Cover and place in a fridge for 5 hours.
- After brining, remove the chicken from the water and transfer to a strainer. Discard the brine water, fruit, and vegetables. Pat chicken dry and transfer to a dry, clean workspace. Generously season chicken with Chicken Spice Rub, both under the skin and on top of the skin.
- Preheat an outdoor grill or large grill pan to medium high.
- Grill, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken has a nice char. Flip and grill another 10-15 minutes. Flip once more and grill until cooked through and the chicken registers 160 degrees F on a thermometer. Let rest 10 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with lemon and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank cooks with soul for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://cookswithsoul.com/winter-citrus-brined-grilled-chicken-recipe-brine-meat/