Preparation time: 20 miins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1½ pounds skirt steak
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, coarsely chopped plus 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
- 3 large limes, zested and juiced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3 large cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Sauce and pickled onions
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 limes, juiced and zested, divided
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pinch cloves (optional)
- Warmed corn tortillas
- Queso fresco, crumbled (optional)
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- Sliced avocado (optional)
- Additional lime wedges
- Cut the skirt steak into 4- to 6-inch-long pieces and place in a gallon-sized zip-top bag or container with a lid. Add the chopped chipotle, adobo sauce, oil, lime juice and zest from 3 limes, grated garlic, salt and black pepper. Seal, shake and let sit room temperature 10 to 15 minutes.
- While the steak marinates, whisk together the mayonnaise, about 1 tablespoon of the lime juice and 1/2 of the zest and the ground cumin. Set aside or refrigerate until using if making ahead of time.
- In a small bowl, combine the thinly sliced onions, remaining lime juice and zest, cloves and toss to coat.
- Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade and cook about 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium rare, or until it reaches desired doneness. Let meat rest on a cutting board 10 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain. Taste and season with additional kosher salt, if desired.
- Warm corn tortilla on a skillet or in a microwave. Spread with the cumin-lime mayo, then top with sliced steak, pickled onions, queso fresco and fresh cilantro.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Today for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.today.com/recipes/chipotle-lime-steak-tacos-quick-pickled-onions-recipe-t243003