Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 25 mins
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, divided
- 2 large shallots, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons (or more) sambal oelek
- 24 littleneck clams, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 thick slices country-style bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- ½ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Prepare a grill for medium, indirect heat (for a gas grill, leave one or two burners off; for a charcoal grill, bank coals on one side of grill). Place a large cast-iron skillet on grill over direct heat (move it around to the cooler part of grill as you cook if needed) and melt 4 Tbsp. butter in skillet. Add shallots and garlic and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring often, until paste darkens to rich brick-red colour, about 1 minute. Add beer and tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until the beer is reduced nearly by half and no longer smells boozy about 4 minutes. Stir in chickpeas and sambal oelek, then add clams. Cover (if you don’t have a lid that fits, use a sheet of foil) and cook, stirring occasionally until clams have opened; this could take from 5–10 minutes depending on the size of clams and the heat level. Remove from heat; discard any clams that don’t open. Stir in lime juice and remaining 2 Tbsp. butter.
- While the clams are cooking on the grill, drizzle bread with oil and season lightly with salt. Grill until golden brown and crisp, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer toast to plates and spoon clam mixture over; top with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges for squeezing over.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Bon Appétit Magazine for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/chile-lime-clams-with-tomatoes-and-grilled-bread?intcid=inline_amp