Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
Chicken fried steak
- 2 large eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 pounds cube steak
- 2 cups canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For The Chicken Fried Steak
- In a small dish, beat the eggs and then add the milk. In a second shallow dish, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Place the steak in the flour mixture and turn to coat. Place the meat into the milk and egg mixture, turn to coat and then place it back in the flour and turn to coat.
- Place the breaded meat on a clean plate and then repeat with the remaining meat.
- Add the oil to a large skillet. Heat over medium heat until the oil reaches 350 f.
- Cook the meat, two to three pieces at a time, until the edges start to look golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side.
- Once finished, remove the meat and place on a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain. Repeat until all the meat is cooked.
For The Gravy
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk to combine. Slowly add the milk to the pan and whisk to incorporate. Keep whisking until smooth.
- If the gravy appears too thick add a bit more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until it thins out. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Once the gravy is the desired consistency, remove it from the heat.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Today for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.today.com/recipes/chicken-fried-steak-gravy-recipe-t257368