Preparation time: 25 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1/3 c. hoisin sauce
- 1/3 c. mirin
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 3 tsp. toasted sesame seeds, divided
- 1 lb. flank steak, butterflied and pounded 1/16-in. thick (See how-to, below)
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed to about 6-in each
- 8 scallions
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together hoisin sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and 2 tsp sesame seeds to combine. Transfer half (about 1/2 cup) to a small measuring cup.
- Cut pounded flank steak into 3- by 4-in strips, add to bowl and toss to coat; let sit 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat grill to medium-low. Thinly slice 1 scallion and set aside for serving. Quarter remaining 7 scallions lengthwise, then trim them to 6 inches long. Trim asparagus to 6 inches long. Toss scallions and asparagus in olive oil.
- Taking a strip of steak, place 1 scallion quarter and 1 asparagus stalk perpendicular to the 4-inch side. Roll and secure the steak with a toothpick through the vegetables. Repeat with remaining meat and vegetables.
- Grill covered, basting twice with reserved marinade, until lightly charred and just cooked through, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove toothpicks and serve immediately, sprinkling with sliced scallion and remaining tsp sesame seeds.