Preparation time: 1 hr. 10 mins
Cooking time: 35 mins
- 8 ounces thick-cut hickory-smoked bacon, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds 85 /15 lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 medium Cheddar cheese slices (about 1 oz. each)
- 8 hamburger buns, split
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sweet Spicy Refrigerator Pickles
- Optional toppings: sliced tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise
- Arrange bacon in an even layer on a small baking sheet; freeze until frozen, about 1 hour. Transfer bacon to a food processor; pulse until finely ground, 5 to 10 times. Transfer bacon to a large bowl. Add beef, salt, and pepper; combine using hands until fully incorporated. Gently shape into 8 even balls.
- Place a griddle or large cast-iron skillet on unoiled grates of a gas grill, and preheat grill to high (450°F to 500°F) until griddle smokes, about 10 minutes.
- Working in 2 batches, coat hot griddle with cooking spray; arrange burger balls on griddle. Using a large, flat metal spatula, press balls firmly to flatten to about 3/4-inch-thick patties. Cover grill; cook patties 2 minutes. Turn patties over; cover grill, and cook 1 minute. Place 1 cheese slice on each patty. Cover grill; cook until cheese melts, 1 minute. Transfer to a plate; cover loosely with aluminum foil. Repeat with remaining patties and cheese.
- Brush cut sides of buns with melted butter. Place buns, cut sides down, on unoiled grates of hot grill. Grill until toasted, about 1 minute per side.
- Place 1 patty on each bun bottom; top with Spicy-Sweet Refrigerator Pickles, desired toppings, and bun tops.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Southern Living for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://www.southernliving.com/recipes/bacon-cheeseburger