Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 1 large sweet onion
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups minced fresh cilantro
- 1 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 beef flat iron steak or top sirloin steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 12 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Optional: Fresh arugula and sliced tomato
- Cut onion into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. Place in a large bowl or shallow dish. Add buttermilk; turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- In a small bowl, combine cilantro, parsley, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove 2 tablespoons herb mixture; stir into mayonnaise. Refrigerate until serving. Stir 1/2 cup olive oil into remaining herb mixture. Reserve 2 tablespoons oil mixture for serving. Place remaining oil mixture in a large bowl or shallow dish. Add beef; turn to coat. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain beef, discarding marinade. Grill beef, covered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from heat until meat reaches desired doneness, 7-9 minutes on each side (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°).
- Meanwhile, drain onion rings, discarding marinade. In a shallow dish, combine flour, taco seasoning and remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Roll onion rings in flour mixture. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, until golden brown, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels; keep warm.
- Remove steak to a cutting board; brush with reserved 2 tablespoons oil mixture. Brush bread with remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil. Grill bread over medium heat until toasted, 30-60 seconds on each side.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over 1 side of each toast. Thinly slice steak. Top 6 slices of toast with steak, fried onions and, if desired, arugula and tomato slices. Top with remaining toast.
Posted by Coba Grills and we Thank Taste of Home for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/steak-sandwiches-with-crispy-onions/