Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 10 mins
- 1 lb. squid, cleaned, tentacles reserved for another use
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. peanut or canola oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 Tbsp. chili garlic sauce (preferably sambal oelek)
- 4 cups watercress (Watercress isn't always easy to find. Baby arugula, or even a few handfuls of basil leaves, can easily take its place here.)
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup roasted peanuts
- Preheat a grill.
- Toss the squid bodies with the oil, and generously season with salt and lots of black pepper.
- When the grill is very hot, add the squid and grill for about 5 minutes, until lightly charred all over.
- Combine the lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili sauce in a mixing bowl and whisk to blend.
- Slice the grilled squid into 1⁄2" rings.
- In a salad bowl, toss the squid, watercress, cucumber, tomato, onion, and peanuts with the dressing.
- Divide the salad among 4 plates.