Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
- 1 tbsp. oil use veggie broth if you avoid oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (300 g) white rice uncooked (*see notes)
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) vegetable broth or more, depending on rice variety
- 1 1/4 cups (300 g) salsa
- One 15 Oz can (270 g) kidney beans drained and rinsed (*see notes)
- 1/2 cup (65 g) green olives halved (optional)
- Fresh herbs to garnish, e.g. cilantro or parsley
- Add rice to a bowl with cold or lukewarm water and let it soak for about 10 minutes, then discard the water. Meanwhile, chop the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and prep the other ingredients.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or pot, add onion and bell pepper. Sauté for about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, and all spices and sauté for a further one minute.
- Add the rice, salsa & veggie broth and bring the mixture to a boil. Please note that you'll need more vegetable broth and salsa if using rice that requires a longer cooking time.
- Cover the skillet or pot and let simmer on the lowest heat setting for about 15-20 minutes. Do not uncover the lid, and do not stir while cooking! The cooking time depends on the rice variety (check the package instructions). Jasmine rice or Basmati rice cook much faster than e.g. brown rice.
- Turn off the heat, remove the lid and taste it. Adjust seasonings if needed, adding more salt, black pepper, cumin, red pepper flakes, etc. to taste. Stir in beans & olives (optional) and garnish with fresh herbs (cilantro or parsley) to taste. Store leftovers uncovered in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Elavegan for this delicious recipe and the recipe link is https://elavegan.com/spanish-rice-and-beans/