Preparation time: 35 mins
Cooking time: 7 mins
- 1½ pounds chicken breasts, cut into thumb-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed pink grapefruit, lemon or orange juice
- 1½ tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 bundle thick asparagus, chopped
- 2 cups mâche rosettes
- 1 cup arugula
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 large sweet orange, peeled and thinly sliced into circles
- 1 large ripe avocado, cut into thin slices
- Green onion, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- Combine the coconut milk and hot sauce in a zip-top plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces and marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, whisk together the almond flour, Parmesan, whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs, and dried rosemary. Dip the chicken pieces into the flour mixture to coat, then place them on a baking sheet or baking wire rack (preferred). Bake for 15-18, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, citrus juice, mustard and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice bath. Cook the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes, then immediately place the cooked asparagus into the ice bath to cool.
- In a large bowl, toss together the asparagus, mâche, arugula, tomatoes and orange slices. Pour in some of the dressing and lightly toss.
- Place the salad on a large platter, top with the avocado slices and popcorn chicken. Garnish with the green onion, a few turns of black pepper and cilantro.