Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 20 mins
Candied Bacon (Makes 6 Servings)
- 12 slices bacon, thick cut
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 12 slices of bacon, thick cut ½ cup brown sugar Fresh cracked black pepper Cayenne (optional)
- Cayenne (optional)
Hash Brown Waffle (Makes 1 Serving)
- 2 eggs, one for frying and one beaten for the batter
- 2 ounces breakfast sausage or ground pork, uncooked
- 2 sage leaves, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, leaves only
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup cheddar jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup refrigerated hash browns, shredded
To Make Candied Bacon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Dip bacon in brown sugar and place bacon in a single layer on baking sheet. Drizzle maple syrup on top of bacon and crush black pepper on top. Add cayenne if desired.
- Bake for 25 minutes, flipping bacon halfway through.
- Remove bacon from baking sheet and place on wax paper lined plate to cool and let crisp up.
To Make Hash Brown Waffle Stack
- Preheat waffle iron to medium high heat. Into a large bowl, combine 1 egg, sausage or pork, sage leaves, thyme, maple syrup, heavy cream and garlic pepper. Season with salt and pepper and mix. Fold in cheese and hash browns.
- Brush the top and bottom of waffle iron with melted butter and pour hash brown mixture into waffle iron. Close and cook for about 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan to medium-high heat and melt butter. Crack the other egg into pan and fry until the whites have set but the yellow is still soft.
- Place hash brown waffle on plate. Top with fried egg and serve immediately with two slices of candied bacon and garnish with thyme. Best when served with a bellini.