Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of freshly cracked black pepper (It may seem like a curious addition to this mix, but black pepper brings a subtle heat that pairs well with the fruit and vinegar.)
- 1 tbsp. butter (optional)
- 4 wedges angel food cake, each 1" thick
- Whipped cream
- Mix the strawberries, vinegar, and pepper and marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat a grill, stove-top grill pan, or non-stick sauté pan until hot. (If using the pan, add the butter; if grilling, omit the butter entirely.)
- Add the cake slices and cook until caramelized and toasted. Transfer to 4 dessert plates.
- Top with the strawberries, their liquid, and a spoonful of whipped cream.