Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, ribbed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Spanish saffron threads plus a pinch, divided
- 4 links Spanish dry-cured chorizo (about 6 ounces), sliced
- 1½ cups short or medium-grain white rice
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with chiles
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds raw, peeled large shrimp
- 1 pound sea scallops, patted dry
- 1/3 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, heat the chicken broth until boiling.
- In a separate large skillet or paella pan over medium-high heat, heat 3 tablespoons of oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, peppers, 1 teaspoon saffron and chorizo. Cook for 6 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the chorizo is browned.
- Stir in the rice, diced tomatoes and tomato paste until well-mixed, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the boiling chicken broth, little by little, stirring each addition constantly until the broth is almost absorbed. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reserve 1/4 cup of the chicken broth in a large bowl.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil, reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- To the reserved broth, add the remaining olive oil, pinch of saffron and salt and pepper. Toss the shrimp and scallops into the bowl for the flavors to marry.
- Remove the aluminum foil from the pan and add the seafood and broth mixture, spreading it out over the rice. Cover with the aluminum foil and let simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the seafood is cooked through.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and lemon wedges before serving.
Posted by Coba Grills and we thank Today for this delicious recipe and the recipe link https://www.today.com/recipes/easy-shrimp-scallop-paella-t264019