Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 40 mins
- One 1 1/2-pound flatiron steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 canned chipotle in adobo, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the can
- 1 large garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels (from 1 ear of corn)
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Light a grill or heat a grill pan. Set the steak flat on a work surface. Using a sharp knife, carefully cut through the center of the steak (parallel to the work surface), leaving 1/2 inch of the meat attached at the side so it can be opened like a book. Set the butterflied flatiron steak in a medium bowl or baking dish.
- In a blender, combine the orange juice with the chipotle, adobo, garlic and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and puree until smooth. Pour the marinade over the steak and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, gently mix the avocados with the corn, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the steak from the marinade, letting the excess drip back into the bowl; do not wipe off the marinade. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Grill the butterflied steak flat over moderately high heat, turning once, until medium, about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice the steak across the grain and serve with the avocado-corn relish.