Wurst – sausage
Are you tired of buying sausages that taste of nothing but sawdust and fat!! It can be difficult to find a butcher who makes the perfect sausage. Due to this we decided to buy a sausage making machine and make our own sausages. It is as easy as that…So this is your special day as I am going to show you how to make the German Bratwurst and then how to barbeque your bratwurst indoors using the Lotus BBQ Grill. With your first bite you will immediately recognize the authentic homemade German flavour and if you have traveled to Germany you will suddenly have good memories.
In Germany there are over 1500 varieties of wurst or sausage and everyone has their favourite. But you can eat it anyway you like, with a hot German mustard, such as the German brand Lowensenf which can be bought in Hong Kong, with a crusty roll or as a currywurst, by adding curry ketchup and some curry powder – when you have done it this way you have experienced the most loved way of eating a German wurst.
- 1 1/2 pounds pork butt, fat trimmed and discarded
- 1 pound veal shoulder or beef hanger steak, fat trimmed and discarded
- 1/2 pound pork fatback
- 1 tablespoon Kalahari salt (available in Hong Kong)
- 2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, optional
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes, optional
- One 5-foot piece natural sausage casing
TIPP: If you prefer just buy 2.5 to 3 pounds of prepared mince (half pork, half beef) from your butcher and this will save you a lot of work. However, you must keep your meat in the fridge until needed. It is important that the meat be at a constant cold temperature so that the fat doesn´t get too soft.
- Place the mince in a bowl and add all the ingredients and mix thoroughly – adjust according to taste. If your meat mixture is too dry and stiff, add a little ice water or milk. You need a soft/smooth mixture that will easily go into the casings.
- Tread your sausage machine with the prepared casings that you have bought from your butcher. Fill the machine with the meat mixture and start turning the wheel and this will slowly fill the casings. Be careful to avoid air gaps while also being careful to not over-stuff the casings. It is best to do this with 2 people. One turning the wheel and the other controlling the meat and casing, so that you have the perfect German Bratwurst.
- Once all the casing has been filled, it is now time to twist the sausages into the size of sausages that you require. Use a sausage pricker to prick any air bubbles out of the sausages.
TIP: Chill the sausages overnight for best results
- To prepare the bratwursts or sausages, gently poach them in lightly salted water and then place them on your Lotus BBQ Grill. Once poached they will keep in the fridge for up to a week. Otherwise you can freeze the bratwurst raw prior to poaching (then thaw, poach and barbeque) or freeze once poached.
In Europe it is now winter and too cold to barbeque outside but as we all love a barbeque and we had our freshly made sausages we just had to barbeque. Bring on the Lotus BBQ Grill – the smokeless BBQ experience. And yes you can use it indoors provide you keep a window open.
We placed our Lotus BBQ Grill easily on our stove and had our mini barbeque in our kitchen and yes we did have 2 windows open. It was a fun experience that I can only recommend and what’s more you have sausages or wurst that you know has good ingredients and less fat!
Contact www.coba.grills.hk for your Lotus BBQ Grill